How To Find A LawyerAn attorney at law can help guide you through the legal process surrounding your needs. It’s best to find a lawyer who is well suited for your case, as legal professionals often specialize in certain areas.
For example, tax laws are complicated and ever-changing, so you should hire someone who is familiar with these bylaws when settling estate matters. Find out more about the available services legal professionals provide and which type of attorney you may need.
What is an Attorney at Law?Many people are confused about the difference between an attorney at law and a lawyer, as they both provide legal services. While a graduate of a law school is a lawyer, an attorney at law is licensed to practice law.
A lawyer may give legal advice but cannot actually practice law since he or she has yet to pass the bar exam. Once a lawyer successfully passes the bar exam, then he or she is a licensed attorney.
Different Types of Local AttorneysMost local attorneys specialize in a certain type of practice. While all licensed lawyers have the same fundamental education and must pass the bar exam, law students can take elective courses that interest them.
Law schools require students to take specific generalized courses. However, select institutes have certifications for select areas of law.
An attorney at law may focus his or her career on one or more of the following markets:
- Public interest - Individuals will find a lawyer who works to help the community by providing legal aid to those who cannot afford it. Additionally, public interest attorneys often work for government agencies or nonprofit organizations.
- Immigration – Attorneys can assist new residents of the country with getting visas and green cards. This can include completing paperwork and other assistance during the process.
- Estate planning – Many older people find a lawyer to help them put their affairs in case something happens to them. These attorneys will draft legally binding documents, such as wills and powers of attorney, about their clients’ assets and estates. An estate planning attorney at law is very knowledgeable about the tax laws and implications.
- Criminal – Prosecutors and defense lawyers work on criminal cases, often in court. These can include public defenders and state prosecutors.
- Personal injury – Victims will seek local attorneys to demand compensation for damages and/or losses. Injury may be physical or otherwise damaging and can include product liability, name defamation, malpractice and more.
How to Find a Lawyer for Your CaseYou can hire an attorney at law, a lawyer or a paralegal depending on your legal needs. Additionally, you should consider your budget, as the cost of legal aid can vary drastically.
Select local attorneys work pro bono, meaning free, for eligible clients. In fact, the American Bar Association recommends that lawyers dedicate at least 50 hours a year on free services.
Whether as part of a government grant, a nonprofit organization or just part of dedicated pro bono hours, local attorneys provide pro bono legal services for:
- Low-income residents
- Victims of domestic abuse
- Civil rights cases
- Defendants, as a court-appointed lawyer or public defender
However, you may need to find a lawyer that requires a fee if you do not meet the requirements for a pro bono one or have a specific type of case. For instance, entertainment and corporate lawyers typically do not work for free.
Benefits of Hiring an Attorney at LawLaws are often difficult for laymen to understand. Lawyers have years of education, training and experience, which is extremely helpful when it comes to navigating the complexities of the legal system.
Your attorney will keep your best interest in mind and will, therefore, advise you on available strategies and how to handle your case. He or she will review the facts of your case and prepare you on what to expect, including expected timelines, results and costs.
One of the greatest benefits of hiring an attorney is not feeling alone in your legal problems. While you may have friends and family, a legal professional is the paramount support you need.